This program is for youth aged 12-18 years old and is intended for athletes who have never competed at a regatta and/or who are interested in training competitively. It offers 4 sessions per week, and rowers must have completed Learn to Row or equivalent to join.
The Junior Development program gives junior athletes an opportunity to develop their skills and gain more racing experience before entering the Junior Competitive program. Athletes may choose to stay in this program if they want to continue competing at a club level but are not interested in high-performance training. This program follows the “Train to Train” pathway of athlete development, and athletes will therefore focus on competing in skills events, short sprint races, and head races.
Participants under 17 who have not rowed with SJRC before must complete a swim test in order to participate.
In addition, SJRC has partnered with Max Fitness on New Cove Road to offer a Thursday evening strength and fitness session for Jr. Development athletes. Led by Max fitness leaders, Jr. Development athletes can add on 8 weeks of strength training (one session per week) for $100. SJRC has secured the opportunity with Max Fitness and payments can be made to SJRC in order to participate.
The fee is $445 for the full Jr. Development rowing season, $545 with the Max Fitness sessions. The price breakdown is as follows:
- $400 – SJRC rowing program
- $20 – Rowing Newfoundland (RNL) membership, the NL provincial rowing organization (mandatory annual membership)
- $25 – Rowing Canada Aviron (RCA) membership, the Canadian national rowing organization (mandatory annual membership)
- $100 – (optional) Max fitness / strength training (8 weeks, one evening per week)
Program registration and payment details:
- Please register online at Rowing Canada. Be sure to register your child’s name and birth date online, not your own!
- Fee: $545 (includes RNL and RCA membership dues and Max Fitness fees)
- Fees are paid by e-transfer to [email protected] prior to the first practice
- A program registration cap will be applied at the discretion of the SJRC administration, in accordance with rowing club boat capacity
Swim test form is available here.