*The Youth Learn to Row program is open in the summer season only. Registration is now CLOSED!
Youth Learn to Row is for children aged 12 to 17 years. This program is open to both novices and those who already have rowing experience. Participants will have the opportunity to row in a variety of racing shells, including one, two, four and eight person boats. These opportunities provide great team-building exercises while providing physical activity in a fun, relaxed and safe environment. Please note that the youth should be very comfortable around water to participate; a swim test is required of all participants under the age of 17.
In 2022, Youth Learn to Row practices will be held from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon, Monday to Friday at the SJRC boathouse, beginning July 4 and ending September 2. Holidays include the evening before the Royal St. John’s Fixed Seat Regatta and Regatta Day in August. Should weather conditions not permit on-water activities on any given day, dryland skills, boat basics, fun activities or fitness training will still take place at the SJRC boathouse or the erg room (located at Max Fitness on New Cove Road).
The fee is $645 for an 8-week, morning-only, rowing program. The price breakdown is as follows:
- $600 – SJRC rowing program
- $20 – Rowing Newfoundland (RNL) membership, the NL provincial rowing organization (mandatory annual membership)
- $25 – Rowing Canada Aviron (RCA) membership, the Canadian national rowing organization (mandatory annual membership)
Program registration and payment details:
- Please register online at Rowing Canada. Be sure to register your child’s name and birth date online, not your own!
- Fee: $645 (includes RNL and RCA membership dues)
- Fees are paid by e-transfer to [email protected] prior to the first practice
- A program registration cap will be applied at the discretion of the SJRC administration, in accordance with rowing club boat capacity.
Swim test form is available here.